Construction and Property Consultancy

Light touch process, user research, UX and initial wireframing.

I was asked by a London based design agency to undertake some preliminary UX work for one or their clients. This included user research, IA and some initial thumbnail wireframes. Further stages of the project would then go back to the design agency.

The core challenge was to make the most of strong crossover content, making it accessible from numerous places on the site whilst avoiding duplicate content. I proposed a system where relevant content could be accessed in situ, without jumping off across the site and the user losing focus.

Our approach

I utilised a thorough but lean multi-step process, which resulted in a set of core deliverables to be shared with the end client.

  • Users and Goals - I began with a collaborative process to pull together shared knowledge on customers and users from across the organisation. I then moved on to analyse requirements, goals and business objectives for each key user type, allowing all to see where organisational priority conflicts arose and where further specific research was required.

  • User Journeys - Based on the initial user research phase, I targeted priority user journeys and began to map out key touch points in further detail.

  • Site Outline - This comprehensive deliverable brought together a proposed solution with a focus on required functionality, sitemaps and navigation systems.

The iterative process resulted in a comprehensive set of documents to take forward, with all decisions and concerns noted for future reference.

I then went on to produce a set of preliminary thumbnail wireframes to accompany the documentation. These covered all core page types, content filtering and ordering as well as the navigation.

My client didn't want to have anything too finalised or hi-fidelity to put in front of their client at the early stages of the project. Additionally they didn't want to cramp their UI Designer by progressing into anything final too early. They just needed to be sure that any UI they developed was built upon solid, fully considered groundwork.